Over the last year or so I have been experimenting with making ukes. I have managed to make at least a couple that seem to me to work well. When I get around to it this page will have more photos and a few notes on what I have learned and where I have found info which has helped.
Timber from chairs like this was used to build three ukes.
The arms made one. The rails, plus an insert down the centre, allowed another two. Planers and sanders cleaned up the timber after gluing the body together.
Fronts and backs were made from other chair parts. Pieces were matched and glued. Sanders and a thicknesser were used to thin the material closer to finished size.
While they are all basically the same construction, each uke presented different problems, sometimes self-inflicted! Some 'design features' are the result of correcting them. There is scope for easy variation in design when shaping the headstock
I bought the nearest uke in this photo The others were made from old pine lounge chairs.
My original teardrop shaped uke, bought from Richard Troughear, is on the right.